ISSN 0975-3583

Journal of Cardiovascular Disease Research

    Study to evaluate the cardiovascular functioning in individuals diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (CKD): retrospective observational study

    Kiratpal Singh, Ravraj Singh Dhaliwal, Harmanpreet Singh, Inderjeet Kaur
    JCDR. 2021: 2804-2812


    The aim of the present study was to assess the cardiac functions in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD). Methods: This 1-year observational study was conducted on a sample of 200 patients from the departments of General Medicine. The researchers gathered data by utilizing a pre-established patient profile form, which included comprehensive laboratory findings and pertinent medical information. All patients underwent two-dimensional and M mode echocardiography to assess their heart functioning from the previous hospital records. Results: The present study comprised a cohort of 200 individuals, consisting of 140 (70%) males and 60 (30%) females, who had received a diagnosis of chronic kidney disease (stages 1 to 5) or end stage renal disease. The diagnoses were established through laboratory analysis of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) (<90 ml/min/1.73 m2) and serum creatinine levels (>3 mg/dl). Out of the total sample size of 120 individuals, 60% were diagnosed with hypertension, characterized by blood pressure levels exceeding 140/90 mmHg, while the remaining 40% were classified as normotensive. The individuals were categorized into five groups according to their glomerular filtration rate (GFR). Furthermore, it was shown that the E/A ratio had a positive correlation with the degree of renal impairment, with the exception of individuals diagnosed with severe chronic kidney disease (CKD). The echocardiography examination revealed that hypertension played a significant role in the development of left ventricular hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction. One of the primary factors that significantly contributed to the occurrence of systolic dysfunction was the presence of regional wall motion abnormalities (RWMA), which were primarily caused by ischemia heart illness. The echocardiography results indicated the presence of left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) in 144 individuals, accounting for 72% of the total sample. Systolic dysfunction, as indicated by fractional shortening below 25% and a reduced left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) below 52%, was observed in 20 individuals, accounting for 10% of the sample, and in 24 individuals, accounting for 12% of the sample, respectively


    » PDF

    Volume & Issue

    Volume 12 Issue 7